My son’s birthday is approaching and I still can’t believe that my little man will be 1…
As I’m getting it all ready; invites are heading out, DIY decor, games, and finalizing food + drinks. The past few days have been bittersweet just knowing that my son is getting so big. I’m super happy I’m able to see all his new milestones, and the craziness he is up to. My husband and I are throwing him his 1st birthday party with all of our friends and family to celebrate the awesome year he has had!
I can say I survived the FIRST year of motherhood! Nope, there isn’t a book to tell you what,how,when, or where to do it. It’s just like BAM here is your newborn now learn how to take care of him/her… haha
YES! I did love it, learned something new everyday! Best thing is I’m still learning everyday, cause now he is stepping into toddler-hood and its a completely different experience.
Over the course of this year I have acquire some new amazing skills.
- Multitasking: Yes, everyone does this without having kids. With a kid just gets bit more intense. Like trying to brush your teeth, your kid on one side of your hip and at the same time with one hand your trying to brush those teeth. Did I mention the pulling of the hair while brushing my teeth. haha… yes some will say why don’t you put him down. He is now a super fast crawler and will take off! Next one, LAUNDRY! while you are trying to fold the clothes and play with your son at the same time. Best one of all is for me taking pictures. I have been taking pictures of my son since birth, now to do it is like becoming a spy agent/clown/ and racer! I have to make sure he stays in the spot, laughs or looks at the camera, props are in the right place, and the list goes on!
2. How to avoid getting peed or pooped on: I can sit here and laugh all day on this one. As a newborn you have to watch when in the middle of the night you take his diaper off and pee hits you right in the face! YES it woke you up really fast. ha-ha.. Now diaper changes are a mission on its own. It’s like a wrestling match with a little hulk that doesn’t want to lay down to change it’s diaper. Or best is when your trying to take off a poop diaper and he got away and poop all over! hahaha.. You learn how to cope with it, and be fast on changing diapers. Just remember that it all just comes off with water and soap!
3. Workout time with the baby: At the beginning during the first few months I would wait around for nap time. I would take advantage and work out while he slept. Well that totally changed on me! He has so much energy that nap in the morning doesn’t happen and if it does only for 15-20 minutes! Now a days I work out with him; super fun and many laughs. We do our morning jogs/ walks. I use him as my weights now while I do my sit-ups & squats. When I do my push ups/planks he likes to go under me like I’m a tunnel. My son finds it funny when I’m doing all this. I’m waiting for the day he starts to copy me!
4. Making the best ice-coffee: Big time Dunkin girl I always was! I have no time for that, maybe when I’m out the door and go to the drive-thru. Now I make my own at home. I just put my cup under my keurig machine, and while I’m getting breakfast ready for my son it gets COLD! haha I then add some milk and ice. I repeat this multiple times a day!
5. How to make mom friends: I have awesome mom friends that were my friends before I had my son! All gave me awesome advice through the year. But I also made new mom friends with a kids around my age. How did I do this? I joined some mom clubs and during library time met some too.
6. How to dress appropriately for post-baby body: Yes, it’s so true NOTHING FITS! Best thing is you shouldn’t worry about it. You are trying to take care and learning your baby out. So what if you live in those super comfy yoga pants for a few months. Don’t worry you will have time to rock your clothes later on in the passing months!
7. How to shop for clothes: Body is different and it gets super frustrating trying to get clothes that fits your body right during those first few months. Go to your favorite store and by things that are on sale, take it home and try it on (mini fashion-show). You probably realize that you are smaller than what you think and everything you got is just big on you. Repeat it all and go shopping again, make sure you have fun doing it! Best of all get things that you feel pretty in.
8. How to politely tell people you don’t want or need advice: The first thing everyone comes to you with advice on how to take care of a your child. Yes, its great; everyone has their own techniques and ways. Why make anyone feel bad ; just listen to their advice. If you don’t agree with it then dont use it! Nobody is telling you to. But for experience most of the mommies that have had kids longer than me give AWESOME advice and they are just being super helpful!
9. How to still make time for your husband: No lie you tend to forget about your husband when baby comes into the picture. Wrong thing to do, that is true. Going out on dates becomes hard, but you can do that at home. When the baby is sleeping; grab wine, make dinner, and rent a movie. That time is still available and its great to make it happen. Not only does you husband need it, so do you! Especially that nice cold glass of wine…
10. How to just have fun and enjoy the time: The year goes by so fast, and its a waste to get angry cause the laundry it not done, you didn’t sleep, or didn’t have time to shower. Enjoy every second, as everyone says it goes by super fast! Capture all the beautiful milestones, and know that life is precious.
Mommies out there let me know some of the skills you have mastered during the first year or motherhood! I would love to hear them… Have an awesome day!